LEICESTER REGISTER OFFICE
DEATH REGISTRATION PROCEDURES FOLLOWING EMERGENCY BILL (COVID -19)
The Emergency Bill, in response to the current situation, has granted legislation to remove the need for face to face death and still birth registrations.
If you have are dealing with the funeral of a death which has occurred in the City of Leicester the following instructions will now apply:
1. MCCD’s will be scanned to our office direct by GP’s surgeries or hospitals. Family members will not be permitted to collect.
2. Provided that the death does not need to be referred to the coroner, we will register by telephone on an appointment basis.
3. At the point of registration, we will need to know which crematorium is being used, or where the burial is taking place, whichever applies.
4. Please ensure you have made the family aware of the name of the above to enable the paperwork for the cremation or burial to be emailed by a registrar to that authority.
5. Following revised guidance received from the General Register Office on 30th March, we will also copy Form 9 or ‘the green’ via email to you, the funeral director. For this purpose, please ensure the family know the correct email address for us to use.
Your assistance in informing the families you are dealing with is much appreciated at this difficult and unprecedented time.